[Sca-cooks] Medieval cooking for non-cooks

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Wed Nov 7 13:07:11 PST 2001

Dear friends,
I could use some help with this one.
As well as being a lurker and sometime poster on this e-list I am also Deputy MoAS of my local group.  Our Barony this year is having a pot-luck for Yule Feast and has requested period dishes from the populace.
While this causes me no concern, it is a cause for much worry among the ramen noodle eaters of the canton.  We are located on a University campus so much of our membership is
A) poor, they won't be buying veal
B) at the culinary level of boil the pasta and pour over the prego.
So, I am trying to find simple medieval recipes that can introduce medieval cooking gently to these people.  Something that they can make relatively quickly and take to the feast while still having enough money for Ramen noodles next month.

I started with the ubiquitous Macrowns (medieval Mac and Cheese) made with lasagna sheets for ease.
Caboches in potage
Buttered wortes
Funges

Any other suggestions would be welcome.  Remember the cheaper and easier the dish the better.

Thanks.

Helewyse de Birkestad
Marche of the Marshes