[Sca-cooks] American vs. English muffins

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 11 14:52:42 PST 2001

Vara commented:
> Drury Lane is in London and has a famous theatre on it. There were often hot
> food salesmen around
> muffin men(not American cake type muffins but English bread type muffins)
> hot chestnut men and the pie man.
> they sold to the theatre goers and the street sweepers in the last century.

I think I know what is meant by an American muffin, but what is an
English muffin and how do they differ? Is the English muffin not as
crumbly? I assume either can be sweet or not. They are both about
two to three inches in diameter, right?

In the American version you cook them in metal pans with (usually)
six to eight cup-like indentations. Sometimes you put paper or foil
linings in these. Are English muffins done the same way? If so, how
far back do these multiple pocket pans go? Maybe the old method
was to use individual glass/ceramic cups instead? In which case the
multiple pocketed pans may not be very old.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net