[Sca-cooks] American vs. English muffins

Sharon Nevin koidgath at optushome.com.au
Sun Nov 11 15:21:32 PST 2001

>I think I know what is meant by an American muffin, but what is an
>English muffin and how do they differ? Is the English muffin not as
>crumbly? I assume either can be sweet or not. They are both about
>two to three inches in diameter, right?

They differ according to raising and cooking method. English muffins are
raised with yeast. I've seen some sweet English muffins but I wouldn't call
them crumbly. They are cooked on a heavy fry pan, hot plate or griddle.

As an example of an English muffin recipe to give an idea (not quite the
one I use but I can't find it on the hard drive)
http://www.lunched.co.uk/Breads/muffins.html
.

>In the American version you cook them in metal pans with (usually)
>six to eight cup-like indentations. Sometimes you put paper or foil
>linings in these. Are English muffins done the same way? If so, how
>far back do these multiple pocket pans go? Maybe the old method
>was to use individual glass/ceramic cups instead? In which case the
>multiple pocketed pans may not be very old

I have seen old recipes where small sized cake type objects were baked in
saucers (the old fashioned kind which are more bowl-like then flat)

I hope this helps

Elizabet de Meyham