[Sca-cooks] Greetings from Edmonton, Alberta

Amanda Baker sca-cooks at treaclemine.cix.co.uk
Tue Nov 13 09:07:35 PST 2001

Morning, all,

        Glad to see people checking in safely.  I'm in Canada,
some computer access problems, hence my slow reply...

Olwen asked:

> What is an "allotment garden"?

        It is a fine British tradition, the history of which I
know lamentably little, whereby significant areas within
a city boundary are give over to cultivation by residents,
each of whom has their own small plot within the large field.
I speculate that the practise goes back to the Industrial
Revolution, when people moving into the cities were given
land to cultivate as they would have had in the country,
to make up for the lack of gardens associated with the
city houses?

UlfR said:

>I cheated and cooked it as the porridge for the clean up day breakfast
>(only 20 or so people since most had left the day before). People looked
>suspiciously at the label ("gruel enforced; oats, pork, stock,
>saffron"), but the ones who tried it liked it. Nex time I cook breakfast at
>an event I'll make two pots of oatmeal, one of them gruel enforced. And
>probably label the enforced one "Oats for Real Men[TM]".

        I like this idea, if I can afford the extra ingredients within
my budget.

>Actually I like the idea of making something extra for the meals that
>only the ones that are there to do unglamorous work (e.g those that
>showed up Friday night to help set up the site, or that are there for the
>last day cleanup). Saturday breakfast included sawgete...

        A very good thought. I am away from my books, and
Google cannot find anything on sawgete...?

        Take care everyone ... it is my breakfast time :-)

        Best,

        Amanda