[Sca-cooks] payn perdu et. al.

Gaylin Walli iasmin at home.com
Tue Nov 13 09:25:27 PST 2001

Good afternoon. I recently asked a semi-local cooking friend (hi
Ginny!) for help finding recipes for Payn Perdu that I might have
missed. In December I am teaching a class on basic recipe redaction
at the MK Starleaf Gate Cook's Symposium in Windsor, ONT and I am
using Payn Perdu as the example recipe.

I'd like to include as many versions of the recipe or near-like ones
as I can from a variety of cultures through the "ages." I was hoping
the cooks here could help look over my current list comment on and
point out, perhaps even supply the text and bib info for, any recipes
I might be missing.

Here is my current list:

Payn Fondew (English c. 1390) from Forme of Cury
Payn Purdyeu (English 15th Cent.) from MS Beinecke 163
Payn Pur-Dew (English c. 1420) from Harleian MS. 279 or Two 15th
Century Cookery Books
Browne Fryes (English c. 1450) from Harleian MS. 4016 or Two 15th
Century Cookery Books
Payn Purdeuz (English c. 1450) from Harleian MS. 4016 or Two 15th
Century Cookery Book
Calcus (German c. 1450) Das Buch von Guter Spise, Atlas translation
Colris (German c. 1450) Das Buch von Guter Spise, Atlas translation
Offa Inaurata (Venetian/Italian c. 1475) from Platina, Milham and
Mallinckrodt translations
Sopas Daurades (Spanish c. 1529) from De Nola, Carrol-Mann and Cuenca
translations
Egg Pudding (German c. 1553) from The Cookbook of Welserin, Armstrong
translation
Filled Semmel (German c. 1553 ) from The Cookbook of Welserin,
Armstrong translation
Sopas Doradas (Spanish c. 1599) from Granado, Carrol-Mann translation
Panperdy (English c. 1615) from Gervase Markham, The English Housewife
A Made Dish (American late 16th Cent or early 17th Cent.) from Martha
Washington
Pain Perdu, or Cream Toasts (American c. 1747) from Glasse, The Art
of Cookery Made Plain and Easy
A Whitpot (American 1796) from Simmons, American Cookery

I've not included the recipes from Bon Apetit and Joy of Cooking, but
are there recipes that you can clearly see I am missing? If so, which
ones? Are there recipes here you wouldn't include? If so, why? I'd
very much enjoy reading your opinions.

Iasmin