[Sca-cooks] Request for tomato recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Nov 14 23:08:35 PST 2001

Mordonna asked:
> A friend on the Aten Cooks list is looking for
> late sixteenth century Italian recipes containing
> tomatoes.  I told her I'd ask around.  The timing
> is about right for the appearance of tomatoes, I
> think, but I don't have any recipes.  Are there
> any known this early?  She's planning a 1599
> Italian feast in April.

I don't think we have any pre-1600 recipes for tomatos, although
they show in herbals and such. However, I may be mis-remembering so
your friend check these files in the FOOD-VEGETABLES section:
tomato-hist-art   (18K)  2/ 1/99    "You say tomato I say Xitomatl" by Lord
                                       Xaviar the Eccentric.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/tomato-hist-art.html
tomatoes-msg      (27K)  1/ 4/01    Tomatoes in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/tomatoes-msg.html

And maybe this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/p-Italy-food-bib.html
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net