[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, - Easy Potluck not too expensive

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 07:35:24 PST 2001

I'd like to suggest (for those with just a little more money) the Blanchmange from Sass' TO THE QUEEN'S/KING'S TASTE.  (At work, so I don't have the references here, but...)

Basically, poach your chicken in water; they say breasts, but I've used preboned thighs, or whole thighs. Cut the cooked meat up into cubes or bite-sized bits. Then you take the chicken-cooking liquid and soak some ground almonds in it. (I just grind up the preblanched slivered almonds from the package.)  Then you cook your rice in this liquid, adding a little brown sugar and salt and a touch of butter. When the rice is nearly done, you add your cut-up chicken to reheat. Serve with slightly crushed anise seed and gently fried almond slivers.

This dish reheats well and freezes and thaws well.  It is yummy and a leetle exotic (almonds and anise, oh my!) but not really strange.

Guess I'll have to make this for dinner.
Devra the Baker