[Sca-cooks] HALVAH ICE CREAM & uncooked eggs

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 07:58:38 PST 2001

OK, I think this is OOP period but my Jewish food group is discussing halvah
ice cream and the idea is so intriguing to me that I had to share.

First, I think one could make halvah ice cream by making regular ice cream in
an ice cream maker and then adding the halvah. But here is a non-dairy recipe
for those who don't mind eating Coffee Rich .
Phillipa
PS: what is everyone's ideas about using uncooked eggs?

HALVAH ICE CREAM

Make the basic pareve ice cream base:
Whip separately:
4 egg whites with dash of sugar
4 yolks with 1/2 cup sugar
(or use 'Egg Beaters', and whip 2 small cartons with 1/2 cup sugar)
2 cartons Rich's Pareve Cream.

Shred a block of chalvah into slivers.
Now assemble ice cream by combining above whipped items, by folding.
Fold chalvah into mixture slowly and carefully.
Top ice cream with more slivers of chalvah.
Can be topped with grated pareve chocolate too.
So delicious and so decadent.....I can't even smell this without gaining a
few pounds.
Hmmm, me and Raya, in recovery for chalvah abuse!!!(I also don't dare taste
this!)

*************************
I used to use fresh eggs, and no-one in our family, nor our guests, ever got
sick from them.
However, now that we can buy "Egg Beaters", I wrote that you can use that if
you don't want to use fresh eggs. I still maintain, however, that using eggs
with a good date on the package will not harm you. I do use Egg Beaters for
convenience.

Whip egg whites till whipped well....not as stiff as for meringues, but well
whipped.

No ice cream maker needed.
Definitely no oven!
Just put in the freezer for several hours, and 20 minutes before serving,
take out of freezer.

Zehu.

Love,
Shel.
PS: Estee is getting better, TG....she HAS to....we leave in 10 days' time,
PG for S.A. for the wedding.