[Sca-cooks] Preparing/using chestnuts

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Nov 26 16:33:25 PST 2001

Olwen commented:
> We shelled lots of pecans and boiled chestnuts on Thanksgiving.  The
> chestnuts went into the stuffing along with lots of other things including
> oysters.  The pecans didn't get made into a pie that day though.

"Boiled" chestnuts? Is this what is usually done to prepare chestnuts
for putting them in things like dressings/stuffings? Or are they
usually roasted? Boiling sounds like it might be easier.

I did find some large bags of chestnuts (1 pound?) at one of the
grocery stores I stopped at on Wednesday night when buying supplies
for Thanksgiving dinner. I certainly did not get the good price
that Olwen got, though. I think mine were $4.95.

Anyway, I had thought I might put them in the dressing I was
making, but time was tight and I didn't think I would have time
to research how to prepare the chestnuts, so they didn't get used
there. So, does anyone have any good suggestions on what to do
with a big bag of chestnuts? Other than roast them? I think I have
the directions for that in my saved modern recipes or the Florilegium
from when this was discussed here before.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net