[Sca-cooks] Nasty Jell-o and other sweets... (OOP)

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Tue Nov 27 16:43:52 PST 2001

I, for one, have never liked jello.  Didn't help that my mother, bless her
heart, couldn't cook the thing (I kid you not, jello and hard boiled eggs
are beyond her abilities, yet she cooks well the rest of the time!)

In any case...  While working in a camp for kids, our desserts kept
disapearing overnight.  Every night, we'd have as much as two or three
dozen portions that would disapear.  Not a good thing.  So I got pissed (I
sometimes do that...), and decided to play tastebud and psychological
warfare with the little thieves.

Diluted a bit some green palmolive dishsoap with water in which I'd melted
gelatine.  Let the whole thing set in cups.  Garnish with a dollop of
*shaving* cream instead of whip cream...  Place strategically on the trays
of desserts...

Couple nights later, we did "fudge", with brown roux, set up on a pan, then
cooled down, and cut to bite size.  Just big enough that they'll shove the
whole thing in their mouth at once...

Yet a few nights later, we left chocolate chip cookies that had been spiked
with habanero sauce.

Within two weeks, there was no theft of dessert during the
night.  Following year, I was at the same camp, I guess the word spread out
that I was there, as I had no theft.  Following year, I was at another
camp.  The new guy at the camp I'd just left called me to ask how I managed
to limit dessert theft...  :-)

Interesting memories :-)

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire