[Sca-cooks] Latin names for spices.

Louise Smithson smithson at mco.edu
Wed Nov 28 14:09:55 PST 2001

I need help (again) and of course this is the most logical place to get it.
I am planning on making a meat pie for an A&S entry.  The problem I have is that they want the latin names of all spices.  Now I'm pretty good at the latin names for Fungi (Cantharellus cibarius, Morchella esculenta and Boletus edulis to name three of my favorites) spices leave me cold.
Does any one have a resource or know the latin names for the plants that provide:
ginger
mace
cloves
garlic (I know it's Allium something)
saffron
cinnamon
Thankyou in advance.
Helewyse de Birkestad.
In case you were wondering that is Chantrelle, Morel and Cep.  I have been harvesting wild mushrooms for half my life now.  Still here and still haven't poisoned myself.  There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters but no old bold mushroom hunters!