[Sca-cooks] Larousse gastronomique?

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Wed Nov 28 17:02:49 PST 2001

Was written:

> I remember seeing on this list a while back some rather strong dislike
> expressed about the Larousse Gastronomique.  Now that I have finally put
my
> hands on mine again, after 5 years in storage (the book, not me!), I'd be
> interested to know why you believe it is not such a good reference
> book.  Also, do your objections hold true for the French version as well
as
> the English one?

As a general text I find it rather useful, sort of a condensed "OED" of
food.  Lots of quick explainations of terms, that sort of thing.  Some of
the "history" in my edition from the 60's is questionable, for that I
suppose it should be considered at tertiary source.  The price on a new
edition is steep so I recommend picking up one that is used and several
years old.

Daniel Raoul