Research cooking vessels was Re: [Sca-cooks] Scandinavian feast

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:17:36 PST 2001

>Period Scandinavian is very difficult to do. The best I have come up >with
>is reconstruction of recipes and cooking methods using >archeological
>findings as a guide. We know what the cooking pits >looked like, and what
>ingredients were found in the vicinity of those >cooking pits, as well the
>types of cooking vessels.

I've found only one or two referrences on cooking pits thus far (I bought a
nice book on viking arts at Pennsic, which I can't remember the name right
now...none of which talked much about cooking), but frankly I haven't put
enough effort into it as needed.  I certainly will after I finish all my
other projects...one day. :)

My main focus, however, has been on the cooking vessels, actually since my
main art is pottery.  Do you have any on-line sources on scandinavian
cooking vessels?  Sometimes people find sites that I haven't seen yet.

I was going to wait to ask this next year sometime, but since you mentioned
cooking vessels (see, it's not ME), if anyone has any sites (or book
suggestions even) on any period cookware, please send them my way please!  I
have pipkin info and have made a few....was thinking of researching a
tandoori oven, and anything else that a cook/baker would use in period.  Any
suggestions on what would be cool to make?  I need to gather up different
projects to help some local people with some possible entries in our A&S
contests.  Also thinking of writing how to articles on how to make and use
these objects.  Sounds like a fun research paper to me. :)

Also...recipes for said ceramic projects would help too.  I've found one
pipkin recipe, off of masterworks cookbook...anyone have anything else they
like to share?  I've been thinking that perhaps at one of our local events,
that I might make said ceramic doo-dad and demo it in its use.  Not sure how
interested people would be, however.  Ah well, there is a possibility,
right?

--Arte