[Sca-cooks] Kishka etc

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 13:39:57 PST 2001

I thought kishka was a generic term for guts, but by extension, sausage of
just
> about any kind.
> I always thought thet the term *derma* was just english for *kisha*.  Any
Yiddishists out there?  I think I;ll drop a note to the SCA_Jewish list and
see what they say.  But you are right Master A, kishka is the Yiddish word
for guts.

> I thought that was derma (which appears to me to be Jewish white pudding,
> BTW);
When the word pudding is mentioned, I can't help but think of Jell-o pudding.
So what is  *Jewish white pudding*?

> while meat sausages are kielbasa.

When you say *white meat* do you mean pork of chicken?  I thought that
chicken filled sausage cassings were an relativly new and YUPPIE kind of
food. Has chicken sausage been around for a hundred years? (I'm serious. Was
it around in the 1800s?

Phillipa