[Sca-cooks] Marrow - thanks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Nov 1 05:58:52 PST 2001

Dana Huffman wrote:

> Thanks!  Now I'm all set!
>
> Maybe the dessert was something else, I just remember it
> being called a "marrowbone" and he was apparently
> considered a bit odd/old-fashioned? for wanting it.

You know, something just hit me. Figuratively speaking, that is. In
England, among various other parts of the world and at various times, it
was customary to end the meal with a small, final course. Sometimes it
was sweet, such as a custard or something. In such cases it was known as
a [drumroll, please...] sweet. Sometimes it was savoury. It might
involve grilled, devilled anchovies on toast, maybe a rarebit, something
  that might easily function as an appetizer but for the order of its
appearance in the meal. (I think it was supposed to make you thirsty,
more or less.) Anyway, such a dish is known as a savo[u]ry, and that
might explain a character in a book eating a marrowbone, an actual
marrowbone, at the end of a meal, and this being mistaken for a dessert.
This concept was practiced at least until the 1930's.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com