[Sca-cooks] Marrow - thanks

A. F. Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 1 12:24:22 PST 2001

Or the fifties... My mother had a story about being in a very elegant
restaurant in London in the late 50s, for lunch. She saw Rarebit on the
menu, which she always loved. So she ordered it. Waiter was horrified.
"Madam, that is a savory!" Well, she knew it wasn't sweet, so she insisted.
(She was already arguing with him about tea, which she wanted, vs. coffee,
which was the only thing he was willing to serve at lunch. She can't abide
coffee.) Then this playing card sized thing arrived. She had to swallow her
pride and reorder lunch!

For that matter, the seventies... When I was there, I had dinner at the
home of friends of my parents. After  the sweet, they served cheese and
oatcakes. My first stilton... Yum...

Anne