[Sca-cooks] What a mailing-list!

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Nov 1 14:24:05 PST 2001

Lady Marcellina d'Angelis said:
> I'm just a few days on this list yet, and I'm nearly dazed by information-overflow ;-) Really: It's just wounderful.

Welcome to SCA-Cooks! Yes, the traffic here at times can be fairly
high. Some of us talk a lot. Sometimes even on topic. :-)

> I'm Marcellina d'Angelis and I'm at home in Drachenwald in the Shire of Isengau (Germany/Bavaria/Munich). I'm one of the people who is often involved in autocrating and feastocrating of our events. (We are a Shire of 12 members :-P  ).

> I'm also a member of the "Haubentaucher", a group of SCAdians, who does meadieval cooking at medieval markets. Of course we try to do this as period as possible, means, we have a period-tent-encampment, do cooking on open fire, with period pots and try to give the audience a feeling of what cooking was in past times.

I'd like to hear more about this. A medieval market? Is this part of
a bigger re-enactment event? Or do you mean you are doing this at
an actual market that dates to medieval times? So are there a bunch
of other re-enactors around you? Or is your group doing this in the
middle of a modern marketplace with modern shopping going on around
you?

Here is an article in the FEAST section of my Florilegium, which
details the experiences of another cook, which in many ways may be
similar to yours, about cooking using period methods:
Kentwell-Hall-art (25K)  6/25/98    A period kitchen at a Living History
site.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Kentwell-Hall-art.html

THL Stefan li Rous
PS: I'm also curious as to what your native language is?