[Sca-cooks] Re: herbal question

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Nov 1 14:57:16 PST 2001

Iasmin said:
> >  > Yes. Even some of them are cookbooks. I have a bibliography of sorts
>
> And Stefan replied with a question, asking:
>
> >Are these mostly modern books? or both modern and period sources? I'm
> >wondering if this might make a good addition to the Florilegium.
>
> Mostly period, with a sprinkling of OOP and only one or two modern. The OOP
> and modern are included because they serve as excellent "bridge" sources
> that help explain the period ones to some extent. Or provide a "how to"
> description that doesn't exist in the period sources but mimics the method
> as best we (I) can tell from what we know about period herbs and their
> use (cooking or otherwise). Ultimately I'd like to make it an annotated bib,
> but I've not had time, hence its title of "Iasmin's Unfinished Master Bib".
> If
> you'd still like to see it, I'll pass it along to the list since a
> few other people
> have asked for it and you can judge from there whether or not to include it.

This would be wonderful. I tend to stay away from strictly modern
information in the Florilegium, but I do have some modern information
in the Florilegium along the lines you give, when it is a referance to
techniques or a better description than the period source. I also
have completely modern files such as the one on canning. Canning
was not a period technique, but using canning techniques can also
let period food items be enjoyed where they might not otherwise
be possible.

I do accept updates, so you can start with what you have now and
add annotations later.

An article that is similar to yours, but on books with period
recipes is:
cookbooks-bib     (40K)  6/ 9/01    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of
Armida.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-bib.html

Jaelle's bibliography had short annotations when I got it, but she
sent me an update later with a whole bunch of new additions.

You can send it to this list, but if it is long, you might wish to
send it to me, I'll put it on the fast-track and put it at the head
of the files in the queue and get it uploaded to the Florilegium site
quickly and interested folks can just get it there.

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net