[Sca-cooks] Apple and Pear recipes...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Nov 1 23:12:27 PST 2001

Arte asked:
> I am trying to make different types of preserved items for presentation
> gifts.  I bought a bunch of pears and apples (and oranges, oh my!) recently,
> and I have been wondering if anyone had some period recipes to use these
> items that will last long (at least until Estrella)?  My laurel (hi Huette!)
> is looking up some right now, but I figured I'd ask you all as well and see
> what you can come up with too. :)

Well one period method is to turn them into beverages:
cider-art         (23K) 10/31/95    Article on brewing ciders.
cider-msg         (70K)  9/18/01    Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
perry-msg          (9K)  8/24/99    A cider made with pear juice.

Or perhaps some of the dishes in these files in the FOOD-FRUITS section
might be of use:
fruits-msg       (103K)  7/30/01    Medieval fruits and fruit dishes. Recipes.
fruit-apples-msg  (61K)  1/19/01    Period apples and apple recipes.
fruit-citrus-msg  (45K)  3/26/01    Period citrus fruits. Recipes.
fruit-pears-msg   (19K) 10/11/99    Period pears and pear recipes.
fruit-pies-msg    (45K)  1/ 5/01    Period fruit pies. Recipes. Baking pies.

> I also have a crop of fresh herbs...and access to the rosemary plant that
> ate Slymar.  Any suggestions on how to use these things?  I've made some
> flavored oils so far...researching vingears currently (just bought a great
> book "Herbal Vinegar" by Maggie Oster).

You can dry herbs. I think there are details in this file in the FOOD
section:
drying-foods-msg  (45K)  1/12/01    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.

Some of this should also work for oranges, apples or pears.

Fresh herbs can also make good additions to salads. I believe a number
of the recipes in this file in the FOOD section include what we would
consider fresh herbs (as well as some of what we often consider weeds)
salads-msg       (132K)  9/25/00    Period salads. lettuce, greens.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net