[Sca-cooks] Tiger Balm ingredients

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Nov 2 05:47:28 PST 2001

UlfR wrote:

>        Forensic Science International. 89(1-2):137-40, 1997 Sep 19.
>  Abstract
>
>        The case of a 16-year-old girl who ingested 30 g of camphor
>        dissolved with 250 ml wine to induce abortion is reported. The
>        girl started vomiting 45 min after ingestion, which may have
>        saved her life. Camphor is present in a number of
>        over-the-counter medications, mainly for external application,
>        and is readily available in drugstores. The substance is highly
>        toxic and rapid in onset. The reported human lethal dose is 50 to
>        500 mg kg-1. Camphor ingestion may lead to abortion because
>        camphor crosses the placenta and fetuses lack the enzymes to
>        hydroxylate and conjugate with glucuronic acid. The girl was
>        charged with intended abortion.

So, let's see. So far, we have conflicting source material either suggesting or not suggesting that cajeput oil is dangerous. But not, IIRC, mentioning it as a potential abortificant. Then there's this and other evidence suggesting camphor may be the ingredient in Tiger Balm that causes problems for pregnant women. Cinnamon oil may be dangerous in quantity, but only Red Tiger Balm contains it. Clove oil can be dangerous, too, if misused. So, what are the amounts of these dangerous chemicals in the 5 ml or so (most of which is, in fact, the white petrolatum base substance) that gets rubbed on the feet (or where-mostly-ever) of a pregnant woman. I'm not questioning whether the stuff is an abortificant, I'm just asking _why_ it is an abortificant, and so far the case isn't very convincing.

Adamantius, who prefers either Red Tiger Balm or White Flower Oil, as
per need, but is not a pregnant woman anyway
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com