[Sca-cooks] Tiger Balm ingredients

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Nov 2 08:18:07 PST 2001

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> So, what are the amounts of these dangerous chemicals in the 5 ml or so (most of which is, in fact, the white petrolatum base substance) that gets rubbed on the feet (or where-mostly-ever) of a pregnant woman. I'm not questioning whether the stuff is an abortificant, I'm just asking _why_ it is an abortificant, and so far the case isn't very convincing.
>
> Adamantius, who prefers either Red Tiger Balm or White Flower Oil, as
> per need, but is not a pregnant woman anyway

And I'm sure the One With Cleaver is glad of that!

However, I really have to wonder- the examples ox toxicity given have
been for people INGESTING the herbs/chemicals in question. I want to
know- how much camphor, for instance, honestly penetrates the skin, gets
into the bloodstream, and then crosses the placenta? I would warrant it
is not nearly as much as would be in the bloodstream if you ate the
stuff. And frankly, anyone who EATS Tiger Balm is pretty sick anyway!

'Lainie