[Sca-cooks] C rations Oop

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 11:57:18 PST 2001

>>Lady Olwen the Odd said:
>> > I used to eat the C rations I found in the bomb shelters.  I really
>>really
>> > liked the big round biscuits!  The canned fruit wasnt' all that bad.
>>Come
>> > on, be fair, you liked something..
>
>Uh, I know I'm new here, but should I ask WHY you were in bomb shelters in
>the first place?  It wasn't something a parent or anyone like that told you
>to do, like "go play on a freeway" or something like that?
>
>Side note (sort of on the same vein), today on the radio, a gentleman in
>San
>Salavado (I believe) just came out of the jungle after being there since
>1969 (or so).  Seems he left his wife and children when he thought there
>was
>going to be a war and he'd get killed.  Said "war" turned out to last all
>of
>four days.  Heh.  Talk about "Doh!"
>
>--Artemesia

It was just one of the things the kids did, yeah, I suppose it was sort of
one of the things your folks said to go do.  There wasnt' much to do on the
island.  Chase gooney birds, fish, swim, school if it wasn't too hot, ride
your bike.  You could walk around the island in a couple of hours.  Or you
could take the boat to the atolls and do some looking around and play in the
bomb shelters.  Funny.  Now I see National Geographic showing films of Bird
Island and Midway is now a reserve of the Fed. Govn't parks admin.  I see
they took down most of the buildings and scuba divers go there for $$$$ and
the goonies have taken over the entire island.  Mean a** things.  I still
have scars!

On a food note, NOTHING eidible but coconuts grew on the island. Well, an
birds but I don't think anyone ate them, just the eggs sometimes. Everything
was shipped or flown in.  Even Santa!  First time I remember seeing Santa
was when he was climbing out of a bomber!  Well, {{*THERE'S*}} a memory.
After leaving there I went to play in the California desert.  Tough life,
huh? :-)
Olwen