[Sca-cooks] Olwen's Pennsic Marzipan class

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Nov 2 22:25:22 PST 2001

Olwen wailed:
> Oh cripes.  Why aren't you still sick in bed instead of interferring here.
> Besides, I wouldn't know what to do.  Make it from scratch?  I don't think
> so at Pennsic.

Why not at Pennsic? have some other, made however you wish for the class
hands-on experimenting, but make some from scratch and/or the canned
almond paste you've mentioned.

>Play with it?  Heck, anybody can play with it (the marzipan
> 'Lainie keep it clean).

Sure. I think some hands-on time would be nice. I've never done this
nor even seen it before (the marzipan). However, after all the comments
here, I may get some and see if I can do something with it. But I've
been listening to you talk about marzipan. Most of your students
would not have and probably have heard only a little about marzipan.

>I don't know that there is all that much I could
> teach such talented folks that are on this list.

You wouldn't be teaching just the folks on this list. There are probably
others who may have heard of marzipan, but not know it was period or
never gotten around to trying it. Just because there are a lot of
talented folks on this list doesn't mean they are all talented in all
things. Hopefully even the cooking Laurels are still trying to learn
things and are willing to try something new.

> How to make marzipan capers?

Yes. And/or shrimps. And/or fruits. And/or eggs. etc. Having some
examples or at least pictures of what can be done with this stuff
helps those of us with little imagination. And describing how you
or others have made various items helps those with imagination, but
no idea how to proceed get over that "writers block".

You have already described various techniques to use with marzipan to
create different effects. Collect some of these and others together
and demonstrate them. Start with a glob of marzipan and transform
it into something. Grab a new blob, or wad up the previous one and
make something new. Describe what you are doing and why as you go
along. Do it as a demo or give everyone a blob and have them do the
same thing as you show them how.

If there are multiple steps to something that need drying or painting
or something in between the steps, pre make several of one item, saving
one blob at each of the steps. Then just hold up the items as you
reach that stage progressing through the various steps.

? Well.  If anyone really really wants to play with marzipan at
> Pennsic next year, come down to my Master's camp and I shall drag some out
> and we can play.

Yes, invite the students to your camp for some more experimentation.
But you will introduce more to this art with a class. And the structure
of a class may make it easier for you to teach it. And lock you in, so
you are less likely to panic and run away.

> This year I took down about 20 lbs. and brought home a
> bunch so I should have more than enough.

> Olwen who is not gifted as a teacher

This can be learned. Nor does a class need to be very formal. The
hands-on pewter casting class I teach is quite informal. But I have
to limit the students so I can give sufficent time to each one. And
I've even had folks repeat the class at successive Gulf Wars.

I am not that good in carving 3-dimensional shapes. I've had students
do a better job on this on their first piece in my class than I've
ever done. However, I keep teaching soapstone mold carving and just
point out to the doubters that if *I* can do it, so can they.

You might start by checking some of the articles on teaching classes
in the SCA. I even know where some info is on this. Sigh. Okay, check
these files in the EDUCATION section of you know where:
teaching-msg      (21K)  2/14/00    Teaching in the SCA and in persona.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/EDUCATION/teaching-msg.html
Teach-in-SCA-art  (16K) 12/26/00    "On Teaching Classes in the SCA" by
Lady
                                       Meliora Leuedai de Ardescote.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/EDUCATION/Teach-in-SCA-art.html

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net