[Sca-cooks] bologna

phoenissa at netscape.net phoenissa at netscape.net
Sun Nov 4 00:26:17 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:

>Yep. I've detested "bologna" for years. To me, it was to good sausage
>what Wonderbread was to good bread. All pulverized and ground up to a
>fine grained, homogenous mush. However, a few months ago, I tried a
>Lebanese bologna and loved it. Much closer to a salami in texture with
>a smoky taste. Does it really match something from Lebanon? I don't
>know, but I like it. Makes a good taste contrast in a sandwich with
>a mild havarti cheese or even a sharp cheddar. With spicy mustard of
>course. :-)

Greetings Stefan!

I hate to sound stupid, but what on earth is Lebanese bologna??  I have never, ever heard of it, and I know quite a bit about Lebanese cookery (my family is from there, and I've spent a good deal of time there too.)  I know that mortadella is pretty popular, and I always see it at Middle Eastern grocery stores, but it's unquestionably an Italian coldcut.  The only Lebanese coldcut I can think of right now is basturma, which is beef (I think) cured in a "crust" of very strong spices.  It's delicious but worse than garlic for keeping people away from you after you eat it :-)  And it's about as far removed from bologna as you can get ;)

Anyway, I'm rather curious now and I'd like to know more about this "mystery" meat.  I await elucidation... :-)

Vittoria