[Sca-cooks] bologna

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Nov 4 04:54:34 PST 2001

phoenissa at netscape.net wrote:

> I hate to sound stupid, but what on earth is Lebanese bologna??  I have never, ever heard of it, and I know quite a bit about Lebanese cookery (my family is from there, and I've spent a good deal of time there too.)  I know that mortadella is pretty popular, and I always see it at Middle Eastern grocery stores, but it's unquestionably an Italian coldcut.  The only Lebanese coldcut I can think of right now is basturma, which is beef (I think) cured in a "crust" of very strong spices.  It's delicious but worse than garlic for keeping people away from you after you eat it :-)  And it's about as far removed from bologna as you can get ;)
>
> Anyway, I'm rather curious now and I'd like to know more about this "mystery" meat.  I await elucidation... :-)

I think Lebanese bologna may be an American variant originating in
Lebanon, PA. (Essentially a German sausage-making tradition instead of
an Italian one.)

As for why this would still be regarded as bologna, I can only class it
along with German cervelat[to] and cotechino, German salami, kosher or
otherwise, etc.

As Stefan says, Lebanon bologna tends to be coarser in grind, a bit more
like cotto salami or, since we're talking about German salamis, "salami
for beer", and usually comes in a smaller casing, providing in turn a
smaller slice. It is usually sold in the form of "bullets" (fat little
sausages perhaps eight inches by two or three), and in rings, like kielbasa.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com