[Sca-cooks] de nola original and translation

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 19:55:50 PST 2001

On 5 Nov 2001, at 22:37, Gaylin Walli wrote:

> Oh! Okay, I understand now. That makes far more sense than what
> I would put there. I was telling a friend today that I know about
> enough Spanish spoken to me to be able to slap someone if they get
> fresh and to tell a little boy to be quiet (babysitting, don't you
> know). So the text is rather a mystery.

The text is also in Catalan, not Spanish.  The Cervantesvirtual
website has the transcription and facsimile of the 1520 Catalan
edition of Nola, which is the oldest known version.  There were
several later editions in Catalan and in Spanish.  The edition that
Vincente and I were working on is the 1529 Spanish edition.

> But I just wanted to show this one recipe...

Then this should do for your purpose.  Anyone who can read
Spanish can read at least *some* Catalan.  It's the lettering that's
likely to be the real obstacle.  And it will certainly give a sense of
what the original looks like, whether they can read it or not.

> >Or if your class isn't very soon, I could send you a copy of a few
> >pages from the facsimile of the 1529 Spanish text.
>
> That's a very kind offer, good Lady, but your suggestion and link to
> the original facsimile page may actually work just fine. I'm teaching
> a class on basic recipe redaction, specifically using Payn Perdu and I
> wanted to include the De Nola "De sopes daurades" recipe in the list.
> Capturing the facsimile page may be just what I need. But if it
> doesn't work, perhaps I could pester you then?

Certainly.  Just let me know.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net