[Sca-cooks] GLAZED APRICOTS

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Nov 6 08:42:08 PST 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

>> For this recipe, I'm also wondering what the cream of tarter does
>> for you?
>>
>> --
>> THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
>

> Thickens it.

I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Cream of tartar is a mild acid in powdered form. I'm familiar with its effect on protein extensibility, which is why it is used in meringue at times, and its effect in helping create invert sugars, which is why it sometimes makes its way into syrups and candies you don't want to crystallize. May I ask what it thickens, and how?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com