[Sca-cooks] Sodde Egges

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Nov 6 15:41:18 PST 2001

There's another one, I think, in the English version of Maestro Martino's
recipes, "Epulario".  I did it for a feast several years ago...It isn't Sodde
Egges, but a little different...and VERY tasty:

Recipe By Epulario, or The Italian Banquet,1568
Servings  104
Categories Eggs

8 2/3   dozen Eggs
2 1/4   pounds Currants
3 1/4   tablespoons Parsley
3 1/4   tablespoons Marjoram
3 1/4   tablespoons Mint
2 1/8   tablespoons salt
1 1/8   tablespoons pepper
 3/4   teaspoon Saffron
2 1/2   quarts white wine
1 5/8   cups white wine vinegar
 3/8   cup sugar
 1/2   cup Cinnamon
 1/4   cup cloves

1. Hardboil eggs, peel them and cut them in half lengthwise.
2. Remove the yolks, reserving 26 yolks.
3. Mix the yolks with half the currants, parsley, marjoram, mint, salt and
pepper.
4. Chop 26 of the whites very finely and blend with yolk mixture.
5. Add saffron and blend.
6. Stuff the mixture back into the remaining egg whites and fry in olive oil
until lightly browned.

Sauce:
1. Blend remaining egg yolks, wine and vinegar together, and place in a pan.
2. Add sugar, cloves, and cinnamon and bring to a low boil. Add a little water
if it gets too thick.
3. Add remaining currants and serve over eggs.

Original:

Seeth new Egs in water untill they be hard, then peele them and cut them in the
middle, and take out the yolks, and doe not breake the white, and stampe some
part of those yolks with a few Currans, Parsely, Margerum and Mint, chopped very
small, with two or three whites of Egs, with what spice you thinke good. And
when they are mixed together colour it with Saffron, and fill the Egges
therewish, and frie
them in oyle; and with a few of those yolkes which remain unstamped with a few
Currans, and stampe them well together, and thereto Sugar, Cloues, and good
store of Sinamon, let this sauce boyle a little, and when you will send the
Egges to the Table, put this sauce upon them.

Sorry...the expanded version for the feast is the only version I have at the
moment, but thought you might enjoy seeing it, even in this state!

Kiri