[Sca-cooks] Cookie exchange reminder

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Tue Nov 6 20:11:00 PST 2001

>>Quite a bit of brouhaha on my bonsai mailing list about mail/packages
>>iradiation.  Not too entirely sure when they'll actually be starting this,
>>might have done so already.  Do we want to use US Postal Services for this
>>cookie stuff, not sure of what impact on food their treatment would
>>have.  I know it'll likely kill plants and seeds...
>It shouldn't hurt foodstuffs at all. Isn't this the same treatment they've
>been talking about giving meats so that it can't spread that dreaded e-coli
>bacteria??
>Yes, it wreaks merry havoc on plants, seeds, film, electronic components,
>etc. Your food would not have any chance of growing fuzzies in the mail
>with this treatment though. So, perhaps its a plus?

In other words, the irradiation is working as it should, killing off living
things. I'd much rather have irradiated cookies arrive in the mail, then eat
cookies with *Special* *Ingredients* guaranteed to make my insides as
green as the fuzz on the cookies. <grin>
Irradiation kills stuff; it does not make food radioactive, nor change the
taste in any great fashion, or do nasty things (well, other than to bacteria).

Alban