[Sca-cooks] Cookie exchange reminder

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Tue Nov 6 20:10:43 PST 2001

At 09:23 PM 11/6/01 -0600,Nicolas Steenhout said something like:

>Quite a bit of brouhaha on my bonsai mailing list about mail/packages
>iradiation.  Not too entirely sure when they'll actually be starting this,
>might have done so already.  Do we want to use US Postal Services for this
>cookie stuff, not sure of what impact on food their treatment would
>have.  I know it'll likely kill plants and seeds...
>
>If anyone is actualy knowledgeable on this and can give concrete info, I,
>for one, would highly appreciate it.

It shouldn't hurt foodstuffs at all. Isn't this the same treatment they've
been talking about giving meats so that it can't spread that dreaded e-coli
bacteria??

Yes, it wreaks merry havoc on plants, seeds, film, electronic components,
etc. Your food would not have any chance of growing fuzzies in the mail
with this treatment though. So, perhaps its a plus?

Regards,
Maggie MacD.