[Sca-cooks] Flavored oils...

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Nov 6 23:40:41 PST 2001

Botulism in garlic stored in oil, okay.  This can be a problem.  Roots often
carry Clostridium botulinum bacteria.  This is not a problem as long as they
are kept in the air, C. botulinum being an anaerobic critter.  Cleaned raw
garlic can carry the bacteria.  Storing the garlic in oil can create an
anaerobic environment and may cause botulism when ingested.  The problem
came to light in commercial kitchens where the garlic in oil was left on the
counter for ease of access.

C. botulinum does not reproduce effectively below 40 degrees F.  Store your
garlic in oil in the refrigerator.  When you use it, put it back in the
refrigerator immediately and you should have no problems.

Bear