[Sca-cooks] Farmers Market

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 7 07:58:42 PST 2001

Here in downtown Caid (well, _I_ think it is the center point, but hey,
that's probably just me) there are LOTS of places to buy fresh veggies and
fruits.  I live in Los Angeles (well, technically the San Fernando Valley,
like you know?) but I work in Ventura, which is about 32 miles one way
north.  Ventura is were Sunkist is (well, one of the many farms) and tons of
other farms.

I've found about five different pretty darn reasonable fruit stands around,
and one VERY cheap, but you have to REALLY look at what you buy and make
sure it isn't overly ripe.  Summer is the best time to go to pick up
Strawberries (there is a HUGE Strawberry Fesitval in Ventura every year
which is like a nightmare to get into, supposedly...LOTS of people), amoung
LOTS of other things.  There is also an Orange Festival, which isn't quite a
busy.

There are farmers market places all over the valley on the weekends if you
feel particullarly inclined to drive around picking up fruit (well, this IS
California, filled with fruits and nuts).  ::innocent look::

And, if I'm feeling particullarly aventurious, I hop on the 405 to the big
Farmer's Market in Los Angeles.  It's mostly good for the restuarants
there...I think there was a "Best of" (Foodtv) that talked about the cajun
place down there (pretty good place) and they have some of the best deli's
down there.  It's just down a ways from Fairfax, where there is this SUPER
deli called Cantors and a chinese/kosher place called Gengus Kohen, I
believe.  I've heard good things about that place.

Hawaii...I went there about 5 years ago or more.  We ended up eating
pinneapples at every meal.  Woo-hoo!  When in hawaii, do as the hawaiian's
do...or try to (and try not to look like a bonehead). ;)  Of course, I
didn't TOUCH the spam sushi.  (And WHY does spam keep rearing its ugly,
gellatenous head all the time?)

--Arte