[Sca-cooks] Cookie irradition

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Nov 7 18:59:26 PST 2001

Nicolas Steenhout wrote:> Question/concern...>
> Quite a bit of brouhaha on my bonsai mailing list about mail/packages
> iradiation.  Not too entirely sure when they'll actually be starting this,
> might have done so already.  Do we want to use US Postal Services for this
> cookie stuff, not sure of what impact on food their treatment would
> have.  I know it'll likely kill plants and seeds...>
> If anyone is actualy knowledgeable on this and can give concrete info, I,
> for one, would highly appreciate it.
>> Muiredach mac Loloig
My husband who is on the faculty of the University of Michigan
Dept. of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences says
that with regard to the question of food irradition that the
standards have been approved already for food safety by the USDA.
The system that will be used by the Postal System will be the
same sort of system already approved... it's designed to kill
microbes using electrons or x-rays. It's been in use for years for
such products as spices, certain types of nuts, etc. Selected Meats
for the past three-four years.
Milk in a number of countries outside the US has been treated for years.
Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis