[Sca-cooks] Cookie irradition

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 09:55:48 PST 2001

>Nicolas Steenhout wrote:> Question/concern...>
> > Quite a bit of brouhaha on my bonsai mailing list about mail/packages
> > iradiation.  Not too entirely sure when they'll actually be starting
>this,
> > might have done so already.  Do we want to use US Postal Services for
>this
> > cookie stuff, not sure of what impact on food their treatment would
> > have.  I know it'll likely kill plants and seeds...>
> > If anyone is actualy knowledgeable on this and can give concrete info,
>I,
> > for one, would highly appreciate it.
> >> Muiredach mac Loloig
>My husband who is on the faculty of the University of Michigan
>Dept. of Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences says
>that with regard to the question of food irradition that the
>standards have been approved already for food safety by the USDA.
>The system that will be used by the Postal System will be the
>same sort of system already approved... it's designed to kill
>microbes using electrons or x-rays. It's been in use for years for
>such products as spices, certain types of nuts, etc. Selected Meats
>for the past three-four years.
>Milk in a number of countries outside the US has been treated for years.
>Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Well, Muiredach mailed a packet to me 11 days ago priority mail and I just
got it today.  Thanks Muiredach, REALLY like the lovely shoes and the hand
carved dragon pendent!  Anyway, I looked at the postmarks on my local mail.
The phone bill which is sent from in town here was postmarked on the 2nd and
I just got it today.  Normally it would get to me on the next day.  Our mail
here in Baltimore is certainly being routed somewhere for inspection and\or
"cleaning".  It makes me feel a little safer perhaps, but waiting for an
expected packet is SOOO hard!
(isn't it Master A)
Olwen