[Sca-cooks] Period Breakfasts

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Thu Nov 8 21:38:31 PST 2001

Amanda Baker <sca-cooks at treaclemine.cix.co.uk> [2001.11.08] wrote:
>         ROTFL!!!! It is always a pleasure to meet a _real_ morning person.
> Mind you, with my new allotment garden, and wanting to make the most
> of daylight hours to grow period as well as modern vegetables etc., I will
> be rising before dawn more often :-)

What was tha title of that collection of pearls of wisdom ("A book for
my daughters" or something like that) where some older man gives advice
to his daughers on how to behave? Pious women who sleep on thorns so
they would wake up frequently during the night to pray, get ut a few
hours earlier than everyone else to pray, and other chestnuts.

> > I've done gruel enforced for breakfast at an event.
>
>         Oh, _do_ tell me more!!!! How did things pan out???

I cheated and cooked it as the porridge for the clean up day breakfast
(only 20 or so people since most had left the day before). People looked
suspiciously at the label ("gruel enforced; oats, pork, stock,
saffron"), but the ones who tried it liked it. Nex time I cook breakfast at
an event I'll make two pots of oatmeal, one of them gruel enforced. And
probably label the enforced one "Oats for Real Men[TM]".

Actually I like the idea of making something extra for the meals that
only the ones that are there to do unglamorous work (e.g those that
showed up Friday night to help set up the site, or that are there for the
last day cleanup). Saturday breakfast included sawgete...

> > who did not have time to go to the event in question :-(
>
>         I'm confused .. which event?

I might have been the confused one; didn't this whole thread start with
the breakfast at the Drachenwald coronation in Wales?

UlfR

UlfR                                                 parlei at algonet.se
More Surrealpolitik than Realpolitik, but then, this *is* Ireland we're
talking about.
                -- Steve Glover