[Sca-cooks] Period Breakfasts

Amanda Baker sca-cooks at treaclemine.cix.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 09:23:16 PST 2001

Morning, all!

        <Pause for computer outage>

Afternoon, all!!

Lucrezia said:

> Hi Amanda! Good to see you delurk!

        I didn't _mean_ to lurk, I've just been very behind! :-)

>> (Those of you who wonder why I'm Breakfasts Cook, check the
>
>It's because you're a Disgustingly Chipper Morning Person (tm). Ick.

        Sorry - I sometimes remember to try and be a bit less disgusting...

> (actually Amanda is pretty chipper most of the time. Fortunately
> she has a really warped sense of humour also, which saves her from
> Barneydom).

        I know absolutely nothing about Barney beyond it's alledged
species, sex, and it's colour.  Just as well, by the sounds of it...

> And us other Coronation cooks all said "No way am I getting up at
> that hour!" (this being a matter of maintaining the public peace,
> as well as self-indulgence) whereupon Amanda very kindly
> volunteered...

        ... because Amanda is an ugly animal if _she_ doesn't get a
good, substantial meal early in the morning - which isn't period,
but then, I'm not Christian :-)

> thus instantly winning our votes in the next Sainthood Nomination Poll...

        [FX: Gulp]

        Can I be entered into a Kitchen Hero Poll instead??

Olwen said:

> Ah! Company!~! And someone I like

        [FX: Blush]

> and have sent silliness to.

        Deliciousness inside silliness, much appreciated by my household
and neighbours :-)

> Welcome to list Sainthood, sister Amanda.

        [FX: Blush lots]

> Olwen, patron Saint of Marzipan

        Yay!!!!

Margaret said:

> I have a reference in Dyer (at least I *think* it's in Dyer) to what was
> actually served for break-fast to the King and the royal offspring--I
> don't remember which king, at the moment, although it was most likely an
> English king, but I can try looking it up when I get home. [No, Dyer is
> not in my briefcase anymore--I put it back on the bookshelf where it
> belongs. ;-)]

        Right, now - this is a new one on me!

> IIRC, at least in my period (1200 or so) breakfast happened but was viewed
> as an indulgence of the body (and thus sinful) by the church.

        Sounds good to me - anyone else a fan of 'The Wicker Man' (and I
don't mean the remake...).

> Margaret, still researching her article on medical theory and food and
> why we shouldn't serve honey butter at feasts

        I'd never encountered honey butter before I visited (for a few
hours) my pre-first SCA event, and I can see why people like it.  Where
_does_ it come from?

Selene said:

>> Morning, again,
>>
>>         All I can say is, Lord Umberto and Lady Rhieinwen are
>> mad, and fantastic - they are moving back to the US the week#
>> after they Autocrat!
>
> True, True and What?!  They came from CAid, Darachshire to be precise, are
> they moving back HERE here, or someplace else in the US?

        Caid, the LA area :-)

>> >Oh, I like the exotic tea and coffee idea.
>>
>>         I kinda expected everyone to be doing it - I mean, would
>> your persona have had access to coffee? Can you _really_ get
>> into their shoes in the morning if you drink it??
>
>There are people I don't want near me until they have had their early
> morning ritual caffeine.  There's time enough for persona adjustment
> when they are awake.  What would their persona's morning drink be
> instead, beer?  No.  Just no.

        And what is wrong with beer, especially good 'small beer', in the
morning? It's a drug, alcohol, just like caffine - only, a different kind
of drug ... a period drug :-)

Stefan said:

> Welcome to SCA-Cooks!, although it sounds like you've actually been
>around for awhile.

        Thanks! Yeah :-)

> So, my apologies if you've already heard all this,

        Not at all - there's always good new stuff in the Florilegium!!!
I hope I'll get the chance to do some more serious reading over
the next two weeks whilst I'm on holiday (in Edmonton, Alberta...
anyone from there on the list??).

>>         So, I am avidly collecting everything which relates to cooking
>> breakfasts at events
>
>You might check these files in the FOOD section:

        I will certainly be reading them again :-)

/Ulfr said

> Sadly I am not so much of a morning person anymore as I once was.
> These days I hardly ever wake up before 3 AM, more often it's more
> like 3.30 or 4. Sad, I used to be one of them, but alas, no more...

        ROTFL!!!! It is always a pleasure to meet a _real_ morning person.
Mind you, with my new allotment garden, and wanting to make the most
of daylight hours to grow period as well as modern vegetables etc., I will
be rising before dawn more often :-)

>> porroge and discreetly tucked away tea and coffee supplies.
>
> I've done gruel enforced for breakfast at an event.

        Oh, _do_ tell me more!!!! How did things pan out???

>> I LOVE cooking breakfasts...
>
>Yep, the quiet and peace is perfect.

        Oh, yes :-)

>> All you need is Gruel ....
>> Cool Gruel (you saw me standing alone.....)
>> Gruel, Gruel, Gruel, Gruel, everybody loves gruel (to the Goodies String
>> song).

        Argh! I'm too young to remember the tune!!!

>> > really warped sense of humour also, which saves her from
>> > Barneydom). And us
>
>Shouldn't that be spelled "Barneydoom"?

        Doom, doom!!!!!!!!

>/UlfR
> who did not have time to go to the event in question :-(

        I'm confused .. which event?

        All the best, more from Canada!

        Amanda