[Sca-cooks] Cooking Spam

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 08:07:09 PST 2001

>During tough times growing up, we'd eat fried bologna.  Mom called it
>"Mexican Hats" because it popped up in the middle like a sombrero.  We
> >kids loved it, and had no idea we were eating it because it was the >day
>before payday and all the other food was gone.
>Wrynne

I guess that's why I can't eat certain things, because when I was around
17-20 I was very poor...so I would go to Price Club/Costco and buy a ton of
spam, vienna sausages, bolona (and we cooked it all too),corn dogs and
chicken nuggets.  I lived off those, rotating them around (oh, with ramon
noodles) and cooking them in different ways to add variety (note the fact
that I ate meat, when veggies are cheaper...I still have my priorities like
that, which I don't know if that's good or bad) so now THINKING of eating
those things makes me VERY sick.

I also used to make spagetti sauce out of ketcup, which grosses 99% of the
people I've told (one of my best friends has at least, so I don't feel like
such a weirdo...well, a weirdo about doing that at least).  It's actually
not that bad...it took me awhile to hone it so it isn't that salty or ketcup
flavored (anyone want the recipe?).  Eggs were cheap, so I experiented with
different ways to cook them, including deep frying and steaming.  Ever eat a
steamed egg?  It's like eating tasteless foam.  Blech.  You'd be surprised
how much oil an egg sucks up too!  Wow.

Part of me would actually like to go back and experient with those things
and write a cookbook on how to use them better.  But then, I would have to
do taste tests and I don't think my stomach could handle it anymore.
Hmmm...hey Selene, how about trying it out on Wednesday nights with everyone
as our taste testers?  That would be fun (and cheap) and I need to lose
weight anyhow. :)

--Artemesia