[Sca-cooks] Re: pantry foods was Cooking Spam

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 08:32:53 PST 2001

> So does anyone else have the day-before-payday-food stories?
> Stuff you remember fondly or stuff you never want to eat again?
> 'Lainie

Both.
I remember when I was little we used to keep fish days (Dad is Roman
Catholic). My parents were very poor whilst I was between the ages of 3 and
about 7, and because fish was miles too expensive (even in NZ) my father
would make cheese soufflé. I can still remember the little ceremony. Dad
would go in the kitchen (normally Mum cooked) and us three girls would sit
in the dining room and watch him do arcane chemistry through the
pass-through. When he'd finished he would put the soufflé in the oven, and
we weren't allowed to talk loudly or run around until it was done in case it
fell. When he pulled the soufflé out we'd all hold our breaths to see if it
would fall or not, which usually it didn't. They were beautifully cheesy and
deliciously moist with the most wonderful crispy brown outside. No-one has
ever made me a better soufflé in my life, though perhaps they're seen
through the rose-tinted glasses of childhood. Sadly my father stopped making
them when my mother's lactose intolerance grew too great, and increased
income permitted us to graduate to fish fingers - which is where the "never
want to eat again" part of the story comes in!
Ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.