[Sca-cooks] Re: pantry foods was Cooking Spam

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Nov 9 08:15:30 PST 2001

"Dunbar, Debra" wrote:

> During tough times growing up, we'd eat fried bologna.  Mom called it
> "Mexican Hats" because it popped up in the middle like a sombrero.  We kids
> loved it, and had no idea we were eating it because it was the day before
> payday and all the other food was gone.
> Wrynne

Ooh! Now there's an interesting topic that I would like to hear about!

We had a lot of tough times when I was a girl- my dad was self employed
(an architect, but he did primarily church and church-related buildings-
it's a long story) and we frequently got down to being creative out of
the pantry. I have eaten more than enough generic mac n cheese to
suffice me for several lifetimes. Mom also made pancakes, zillions of
things with hamburger, and the ubiquitous pot of beans. Navy beans, no
meat. Bleah! One of my brothers still won't eat any sort of mac n
cheese, no matter how wonderful, or beans unless slathered with cheese
and salsa and stuff. And I don't care for plain pancakes. But you know,
my mom almost never got bologna- she thought it was too expensive and a
luxury!

So does anyone else have the day-before-payday-food stories? Stuff you
remember fondly or stuff you never want to eat again?

'Lainie