[Sca-cooks] Honey butter

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 9 10:46:44 PST 2001

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 9-Nov-101 [Sca-cooks] Honey
butter by "Mark.S Harris"@motorola
> There is an article in the May 2001 issue of "Serve It Forth!" about
> honey butter. "Is Honey Butter Period?" by Chris Adler (THL Katja
> Davidova Oriova Khazarina). Basically as a spreadable bread
> condiment, no. Her best guess is that it came into SCA use because
> of a contemporary 1966 cookbook.
>
> Unfortunately, I do not have this article in the Florilegium.
> Perhaps there is an online repository for the Serve It Forth!
> articles. Devra of Poison Pen Press does carry back issues it
> says. Devra, Mary Morman or Katja want to comment here?

One of our local Laurel's, Master Charles O'Connor, has found references
to honey butter used in various ways in period Irish poems, and
references to various flavored butters used in various ways again, in
Irish law.

toodles, margaret