[Sca-cooks] Re: pantry foods was Cooking Spam

Jennifer Whitbeck jbwhitbeck at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 13:21:11 PST 2001

> > So does anyone else have the
> day-before-payday-food stories? Stuff you
> > remember fondly or stuff you never want to eat
> again?

Ugh - I thought I'd blocked it out... in my teens, my
mother started making this... stuff. She'd take those
canned, sliced potatoes, sautee them, then add a bunch
of eggs to the pan, then when it had all coagulated,
she'd put slices of american cheese on top and serve
it with ketchup and black pepper.

I eventually learned to like egg and potato together
(thanks to tortilla espanola).

In her defense, my mother used to be a *really* good
cook, but part of her mid-life crisis involved
forgetting all her cooking skills! ;-)

Mini-rant:
Who on g*d's green earth would actually can a potato?
Much less eat the finished product? Unless you were
moving to a bomb shelter...

I don't mean to offend anyone, but if someone's got a
plausible answer, I will be better for the knowledge.