[Sca-cooks] Re: pantry foods was Cooking Spam

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Fri Nov 9 16:57:24 PST 2001

>Who on g*d's green earth would actually can a potato?
>Much less eat the finished product? Unless you were
>moving to a bomb shelter...

The same people who can artichoke hearts. <sigh> I have
a friend who used to cook in one of the local eateries; they
used canned artichoke hearts because, well, they cost less and
were a lot easier to fix things with. I once invited him and his
family over for dinner, and served fresh artichokes (in season
and therefore cheap, cheap, cheap), steamed, with melted butter
and a little lemon juice on the side.

He was amazed. He actually liked them, for the first time. He'd also
never had them fresh before. . .

One wonders, one does.

Alban