[Sca-cooks] Re: Dad Food was

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Fri Nov 9 14:33:51 PST 2001

At 02:29 PM 11/09/2001 -0800, you wrote:
><<Any good father-offspring relationship has special food moments, yesno?
>Just a taste of a rarely-eaten treat can bring back happy memories if you
>have any happy memories at all.>>

Funny thing is, while my father used to go to fancy schmancy restaurants
all the time, he couldn't cook to save his life!  Well, almost not.

He used to make a simple dish of left over boiled potatoes, ground beef,
onions, and pickled beets.  Just pan fry the heck of all of it, salt and
pepper, and voila!  I like it still, once in a while.

After I did the culinary trade route, he became more and more interested in
cooking and had me teach him a few things.  He quit last year, but for the
5 or so year before that he was running a "table champetre" in Quebec that
won several awards.  Table champetre are similar to bed and breakfast, but
instead of sleeping over and having breakfast, you go spend the day at the
farm, then have a fancy meal made with products from the farm...  Hence my
dad got into raising quails (a pain to pluck), pond with trout, veal,
chicken, sheep, and all that fun stuff :-)

Muiredach mac Loloig
Rokkehealden Shire
aka
Nicolas Steenhout