Peanut gallery was Re: [Sca-cooks] Cooking Spam

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Nov 10 06:18:13 PST 2001

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/9/01 6:57:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> mark.s.harris at motorola.com writes:
>
> << Who's "Julia"? >>
>
> *GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASP*None other than my goddess Julia Childs. Bad Stefan
> for not knowing. Bad boy!
>
> Misha
> (Sorry 'Lainie. You can be the reserve goddess :))

I know I'm gonna get myself into big trouble now, as I am about to blaspheme to some extent. But ultimately it's for a good cause.

What a lot of people don't know about Julia Child (no "s") is that she
was (is?) way the heck over six feet tall, had some moderately serious
alcohol problems, started out wanting to be a spy for the O.S.S. but was
considered too tall to be thought of as sufficiently inconspicuous, and
is still one of the truly great, crippled homophobes of our age. And,
there is absolutely nothing in her entire body of work that is
especially original or not otherwise available in many other good cookbooks.

That said, however, what Julia Child the non-divine, very human lady has
contributed to the cuisine of the USA is a sense that cookery,
especially the arcana of French cookery, is both accessible and fun, and
that while it is worthy of respect, does not necessarily need to be
approached with the priestly vestments of Escoffier, because the true
respect lies in the enjoyment.

Many have done it better. Few have done more.

I still can't forget Dan Ayckroyd's Julia Child impression, and
fantasize about Albert R. Broccoli's productions of a series of "Julia
Child -- O.S.S." movies: "Well, we'll just have to have a smidge more of
this lovely champagne, and then I'll put the... microfilm down
my...decolletege... before Oddjob gets here..."

Adamantius The Blasphemer ("Remember! Save the liver!!!")
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com