[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Sat Nov 10 09:01:23 PST 2001

Adamantius wrote:

>> halvyndele, halfyndele
>

>A part comprising one half. Baron Tibor quoted from a recipe today on
>the East Kingdom list which involved either marzipan or thickened almond
>milk cast into emptied egg shells. The recipe instructs the cook to take
>the halvendele and color it to differentiate between yolks and whites.
>I'll have to see if I saved the original post to get the documentation.
>Something about egges in Lent.

Thanks fo rthe pointer. I found them:

 I found it -- (Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez, c. 1430) - xxxix.
Eyroun in lentyn.
  Take Eyroun, & blow owt [th]at ys with-ynne atte o[th]er ende; [th]an
waysshe [th]e schulle clene in warme Water; [th]an take gode mylke of
Almaundys, & sette it on [th]e fyre; [th]an take a fayre canvas, & pore
[th]e mylke [th]er-on, & lat renne owt [th]e water; [th]en take it owt on
[th]e clo[th]e, & gader it to-gedere with a platere; [th]en putte sugre
y-now [th]er-to; [th]an take [th]e halvyndele, & colour it with Safroun, a
lytil, & do [th]er-to pouder Canelle; [th]an take & do of [th]e whyte in
the ne[th]er ende of [th]e schulle, & in [th]e myddel [th]e [3]olk, & fylle
it vppe with [th]e whyte; but no[3]t to fulle, for goyng ouer; [th]an sette
it in [th]e fyre & roste it, & serue f[orth].

>See Le Menagier's hippocras recipe: he says the spice mixture can be
>mixed with sugar and added to wine, and that you can buy the spice
>mixture already sweetened, which is the Duke's Powder. It's been
>suggested that this is in fact a reference to Powder Douce, or Sweet
>Powder (or perhaps simply a sweet powder bearing no relation to the
>English spice mix by this name).

 (Le Menagier de Paris, c. 1393, found in Goodman of Paris, E. Power, tr.,
1928) - Hippocras...And note that the powder and the sugar mixed together
is [hight] the Duke's powder.

Pichon's edition says:

Et nota que la pouldre et le succre meslés ensemble, font pouldre de duc.

Cindy