[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Nov 9 19:02:42 PST 2001

Cindy M. Renfrow wrote:

> Hello! I've just updated the glossary
> http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/glossary.html
> with Johnna Holloway's icing info.
>
> The glossary is now up to 284K.  As always, anything you say here may find
> its way into the glossary...

> halvyndele, halfyndele

A part comprising one half. Baron Tibor quoted from a recipe today on
the East Kingdom list which involved either marzipan or thickened almond
milk cast into emptied egg shells. The recipe instructs the cook to take
the halvendele and color it to differentiate between yolks and whites.
I'll have to see if I saved the original post to get the documentation.
Something about egges in Lent.

> Duke's Powder ==

See Le Menagier's hippocras recipe: he says the spice mixture can be
mixed with sugar and added to wine, and that you can buy the spice
mixture already sweetened, which is the Duke's Powder. It's been
suggested that this is in fact a reference to Powder Douce, or Sweet
Powder (or perhaps simply a sweet powder bearing no relation to the
English spice mix by this name).

HTH,

Adamantius

--