[Sca-cooks] American vs. English muffins

Hrolf Douglasson Hrolf at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 11 16:03:11 PST 2001

: "Stefan li Rous wrote and I will try to answer the question.
The American style are cake like baked in cases sweet or savory.
the english muffin is a soft bread LIKE confection usually without a basic
flavour of its own (can be cheese) aand I don't mean scones.
It is baked on the oven floor, split and buttered.
they are baked from dough.
I will try and hunt out my modern recipie.
Found it
10 fluid oz. luke warm milk
1 teaspoon cator sugar
2 teaspoons dried yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 lb strong flour plain for bread making.
1 large egg
1 oz butter...melted and extra for greasing.
add yeast to half the milk and set aside until it starts to froth.
sift salt, flour into bowl add yeast mixture, remaining milk egg and melted
butter.
beat mixture until frothy. cover and set aside until it has doubled in size.
(about 45 mins)
gently heat griddle until flour sprinkled on it browns in 2-3 mins.
dust flour off and butter itr well.
divide mixture into 16 pieces, shape into 3 inch rounds and cook
5-6 mins per side.
cool.
split and toast. serve with butter.
enjoy
vara
I'd love to know when the two sorts divided from the original