[Sca-cooks] Honey Butter

Adler, Chris Chris.Adler at westgroup.com
Sun Nov 11 17:48:19 PST 2001

>>This sounds fascinating, and I'm pretty sure that Katja did not see
these.  Could you or Master Charles post the relevant bits?

Greetings--

Yup, I know Master Charles. I attended the class he did at Pennsic on Irish
Cooking, and when he offhandedly mentioned that he believed honey butter was
period Irish, I and a number of other food nuts just about jumped out of our
seats and eagerly wanted to know what documentation he had found. The poor
man had expected historians, not cooks, at his class! :)

He wasn't prepared at the class to discuss the honey butter documentation at
at length, so I talked with him at an event a few weeks afterward about it.
IIRC, he said the references were in some odes or poems, not household
inventories or other legal documents. I've been too busy since then to nudge
him for the exact sources.

Serendipitously, Dame Aoife was teaching a nifty class yesterday on
redactions and reading documentation, and we talked about Master Charles and
The Honey Butter Debate! She said that she or her apprentices would nudge
him for the information.

Stefan, I'll email the article to you directly in a moment for your files.
Thanks very kindly for asking for it.

toodles, Katja