Peanut gallery was Re: [Sca-cooks] Cooking Spam

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 10:30:55 PST 2001

>Hey BTW How did the Boiled Peanuts Experiment go? Or did you ever
>attempt it?

<<Well, the canned peanuts are still in the can. And the can is
somewhere... I've not found fresh peanuts in the store. But
Mistress Christianna did bring me some Boiled Peanuts at Pennsic.
Not bad, but I guess I'm really used to my peanuts going "crunch".
The boiled peanuts don't.

In the past, I've also preferred the "dry roasted" peanuts
to the regular ones, so I guess this is a texture thing. I also
expected the Boiled Peanuts to be more salty than they were.>>

Boiled Peanuts?  Are these used as a garnish or a side dish or something?
Recipe please!

One of the interesting things I saw was carmelizing walnuts for salads.
This probably seems pretty "usual" for most of you, but I just never knew
about this stuff until recently.  I guess I never noticed Julia doing them,
but maybe I was still stuck on how much wine she drank between cooking. ;)

Working in Ventura, California, there are a number of farms and several in
Ojai that grow all sorts of nuts.  Infact, just down the ways from me is the
Somis Nut House.  And no, I didn't escape from there.

Camarillo, where I work, was once home to one of the largest insane asylums
too.  Hmmm...hopefully I'm not experiencing a trend or something. :/

--Arte