[Sca-cooks] American vs. English muffins

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Nov 11 21:30:59 PST 2001

Nicolas said:
> >They differ according to raising and cooking method. English muffins are
> >raised with yeast. I've seen some sweet English muffins but I wouldn't call
> >them crumbly. They are cooked on a heavy fry pan, hot plate or griddle.
> >
> >As an example of an English muffin recipe to give an idea (not quite the
> >one I use but I can't find it on the hard drive)
> >http://www.lunched.co.uk/Breads/muffins.html
>
> Or go over to your favourite grocery store, and buy yourself some english
> muffins...  You'll immediately see the difference.

Oh boy, do I suddenly feel stupid. Yes, in fact I have one of these
sitting in its plastic bag in the kitchen. I often have "English
Muffins" for breakfast. If I have the time, I like to split them,
smear on a lot of butter (more likely margerine) and grill them.
I guess for some reason I was locked into thinking about the cake-like
ones.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net